Promotes dental health by completing dental prophylaxis; providing oral cancer screening and radiographic studies; charting conditions of decay and disease; performing procedures in compliance with the dental practice act.
* Prepares treatment room for patient by adhering to prescribed procedures and protocols.
* Prepares patient for dental hygiene treatment by welcoming, soothing, seating, and draping patient.
* Provides information to patients and employees by answering questions and requests.
* Maintains instrumentation for dental hygiene treatment by sharpening, sterilizing, and selecting instruments.
* Selects materials and equipment for dental hygiene visit by evaluating patient's oral health.
* Completes dental prophylaxis by cleaning deposits and stains from teeth and from beneath gum margins.
* Detects disease by completing oral cancer screening; feeling and visually examining gums; using probes to locate periodontal disease and to assess levels of recession; exposing and developing radiographic studies.
* Arrests dental decay by applying fluorides and other cavity- preventing agents.
* Maintains patient appearance and ability to masticate by fabricating temporary restorations; cleaning and polishing removable appliances; placing, carving, and finishing amalgam restorations; removing cement from crowns and bridges.
* Helps dentist manage dental and medical emergencies by maintaining cpr certification, emergency drugs and oxygen supply, and directory of emergency numbers.
* Educates patients by giving oral hygiene and plaque control instructions and postoperative instructions; providing reminders of time of next dental hygiene visit.
* Documents dental hygiene services by recording vital signs and medical and dental histories; charting in patient records.
* Maintains patient confidence and protects operations by keeping information confidential.
* Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
* Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection-control policies and protocols.
* Ensures operation of dental equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer's instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs; maintaining equipment inventories; evaluating new equipment and techniques.
* Maintains dental supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying receipt of supplies.
* Conserves dental resources by using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish job results.
* Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
* Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
Use of Dental Technology, Dental Health Maintenance, Infection Control, Health Promotion and Maintenance, Bedside Manner, Creating a Safe, Effective Environment, Listening, Teamwork, Administering Medication, Thoroughness, Self-Development