Director of Human Resources
The Myton Hospices
The closing date is 20 March 2021
To lead HR, Volunteer and Learning and Development Teams to ensure our diverse range of teams are supported and developed and so that we recruit and retain people of the highest quality and with the right skills and enthusiasm to make Myton a thriving and innovative organisation and an employer of choice.
As part of the Senior Leadership team to deliver strong and effective leadership and to deliver and implement a workforce strategy that engenders the right culture for our people and teams to grow and ensures the corporate strategy will succeed through their engagement.
Main duties of the job
This is an exciting opportunity to join us as Director of HR when there is a real focus from the Board on delivering the big people issues facing the Hospice. You will play a critical role in leading the Human Resource, Volunteer & Learning and Development functions to attract and retain the best people and support the delivery of high quality care.
We are looking for a dynamic and experienced HR professional to be part of the Senior Leadership Team to develop and lead our workforce strategy and place our people at the heart of everything we do.
For further information please speak to Helen Wetton on 01926 838885.
If you would like to apply please provide your CV, personal statement and covering letter.
Interview Date: 31st March 2021
The Myton Hospices is an organisation at the forefront of palliative and end of life care across Coventry and Warwickshire and with a national profile. We have 2 in-patient units, 3 day units, alongside a developing range of outpatient and community based services.
We have almost 300 staff and over 700 volunteers who are committed to improving the quality of life for patients and their families. Our people are central to the success of the Hospice working across our palliative care services, our fundraising, support teams and our extensive retail footprint across Coventry and Warwickshire.
Myton is looking forward, post the pandemic aiming to increase our reach and impact especially within our diverse communities, which will only be possible with an engaged and motivated workforce, equipped and ready for the challenges and changes that we all face.
1. As part of the Senior Leadership Team to deliver effective leadership across the Myton Hospices, with specific responsibility for ensuring that we have the right culture and values to enable the delivery of positive impacts for the people and communities we support
2. To develop and lead the HR, Volunteer and Learning and Development Teams to ensure that they have the right mix of skills and experience to support and develop our diverse range of teams, including those where staff belong to professional bodies or have NHS contracts
3. To be responsible for the development and effective implementation of Mytons Workforce Strategy that places our people at the heart of everything we do and ensures that we have a motivated and engaged workforce both paid and voluntary that can deliver our overall corporate strategy.
4. Ensure that our Human Resources Strategy is underpinned by high quality HR policies, processes and procedures that are clearly communicated across the organisation. And that managers are fully trained and supported in the implementation of them.
5. Be accountable for ensuring full compliance with all regulatory and legal requirements related to the employment of individuals and the engagement of volunteers across Myton.
6. Accountable for ensuring that Managers across Myton have the skills, competencies, confidence, opportunities and tools to be outstanding managers of their teams both paid and voluntary.
7. Contribute to the effective development and delivery of Myton's strategy and corporate monitoring as a full and proactive member of the Senior Leadership Team.
8. Together with the CEO, ensure that the culture and values of Myton are fully embedded within the organisation, understood and lived by all our people.
9. Alongside the CEO be a champion for equality, diversity and inclusion across Myton. Providing assurance to the SLT and to the Board about equality, diversity and inclusion and our strategic and operational approach to the issues, and supporting the work of the EDI Steering Group
10.Taking accountability, along with the CEO, for all aspects of workforce related governance, through among other actions the smooth running of the People and Workplace Place Governance Committee and identifying and reporting risks and performance.
11.Continually review the workforce strategy across Myton in the spirit of continuous improvement. Ensure that Myton learns from other Hospices and organisations to foster innovation within our organisation.
12.Implement and manage the impact of any change programmes and guide and support the management teams and staff through the process
13.To raise Mytons profile as an employer to ensure that Myton is workplace of choice.
- Post Graduate Degree in Human Resources or related subject (or evidence of equivalence through career experience and progression)
- CIPD Qualified
- Evidence of on-going personal and professional development
- Evidence of CPD
- Formal training or qualification in:
- management and/or leadership
- membership of CIPD or equivalent
Skills / Abilities
- An ability to set out a clear direction and inspire and motivate
- Translate strategic objectives into deliverable operational plans
- Coaching skills
- Change management, organisational change and transformational skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills at both individual and organisational level, with the ability to influence and negotiate internally and externally at all levels
- Advanced decision-making skills with the ability to make judgments and recommendations based on options analysis and risk assessments, in complex scenarios
- Well-developed IT skills to manage and report on complex performance management information
- Ability to contribute to effective board working and organisation, monitor compliance with risk management, legal, ethical, clinical, social and environmental requirements
- Well-developed investigation skills in complex employment investigations (E)
- Leadership of HR and L&D functions
- Working at Director level or equivalent deputy in large complex organisation
- Working at Board level? or strong experience of corporate governance committee roles
- Up to date knowledge of employment law and practices
- Formulating and implementing successful workforce, talent and organisational development strategies
- Implementing effective HR policies and procedures to include consideration of organisational culture, learning and development needs etc.
- Managing complex employee relations matters, including disciplinary, grievance and redundancy hearings
- Leading successful Equality, Diversity and Inclusion strategy development and implementation
- Consultation, negotiation and influencing different stakeholders, including staff and staff representatives
- Budgetary management
- Leadership of structural reorganisation including workforce implications
- Managing a shared function between organisations
- Understanding of employment regulations relating to Medical staff
- Working in a charity or public sector environment
- Working with, and supporting Volunteers
- Reviewing salary structures and benefit programmes
- Strategic Health and Wellbeing
- Working in a regulated environment
- Working with iTrent staff database
- Experience of working within a retail environment
Disclosure and Barring Service Check
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly known as CRB) to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).
The Myton Hospices