Reporting to: Community Manager
Direct Reports: Service Technician and Cleaning and Grounds Maintenance Team
At Cortland, you map the story of your success. We don't adhere to the status quo, we love outside industry perspective, and we thrive on exploring possibilities and reimagining solutions. As an innovative leader in Build to Rent (BTR) in the USA, our high performance continues to drive exponential growth – and we invite you to join us on our journey towards real estate excellence. With tools and guidance to sharpen your skills, you can forge your own career path, love what you do, and let it show.
Cortland plan to develop 10,000 BTR units in the UK over the next 5-7 years, commencing with our first 486-unit BTR residential development in Watford, Cortland Cassiobury, construction of which is well under way.
As an onsite associate of Cortland’s, you’ll be 100% a part of the Cortland family, and you’ll be working directly for LIV, our UK operating arm. LIV is a leading BTR and residential block management company, delivering services nationwide. Currently. LIV manage tens of thousands of apartments in the UK and are involved in numerous schemes at various stages of development. Clients include major developers, global investment funds, and thousands of leaseholders nationwide.
LIV is an extension of Cortland and shares our belief that you create your own success! As
entrepreneurial businesses, we recognise and promote individuals who show potential to commit and grow with the business.
The Service Manager is responsible for maintaining the physical integrity of the community, leading the maintenance team, and partnering with the Community Manager and Assistant Community Manager to maximise renewal and leasing opportunities. The Service Manager will ensure that all duties are carried out with safety first and while adhering to maintenance policies and procedures.
Here are the roles you will play:
• Schedule, delegate, and perform minor and routine maintenance on all appropriate
equipment on a regular basis
• Oversee and inspect the work performed by full-time Service Technicians; administer
disciplinary actions and/or development plans as necessary
• Assist Service Technicians in identifying, diagnosing, repairing, and resolving issues related
electrical, plumbing, heating systems, appliances, stairs, railings, carpet, tiles, flooring, etc
• Hire, train, manage, and lead all maintenance staff to achieve the operational and financial goals of your assigned community; oversee the pre-employment interview process, new associate onboarding, formal and informal performance management processes, and development and succession planning
• Conduct all business in accordance with company policies and procedures
• Implement and manage the system for handling resident service requests, completing all requests within the agreed SLAs; schedule the on-call rotation for the staff and assist with on call service as necessary
• Keep all safety material current and readily accessible; stay aware of the condition of physical property throughout the community and immediately correct unsafe conditions
The Team Player
• Maintain accurate records of preventive maintenance, service requests, and make ready status of all vacant apartments; maintain expenditures in line with the budget unless prior approval from the Community Manager has been obtained
• Maintain adequate inventory of spare parts and maintenance materials to handle most common repairs and situations
• Assist in keeping the grounds neat and free of litter, using rakes, sweeps, and shovels as circumstances warrant
• Ensure the cleaning and grounds maintenance team are trained and equipped to keep the development tidy and safe. Monitor and maintain your team’s qualification requirements
THE IMPACT YOU CAN MAKE
• Residents feel completely confident that all community maintenance issues will be repaired quickly and effectively.
• Service requests are at an all-time low, thanks to all your preventive maintenance and quick repairs.
• Renewals have skyrocketed because life at your community is so worry-free! Residents feel like they can trust and rely upon your team to quickly remedy their service requests.
YOUR BUILDING BLOCKS OF SUCCESS
• Solid experience in carpentry, plumbing, and/or electrical repair; experience in property or hospitality industry preferred
• Ability to plan and multitask in a fast-paced environment while acting as a mentor and leader for other Service Technicians
• Current, valid driver’s license
• Ability to interact with customers professionally and enthusiastically
• Capacity to read, interpret and apply written instructions for repair and maintenance of equipment
• Ability to work day, weekend, and evening hours as required
• Relevant C&G electrical / plumbing qualifications or similar advantageous
• Experience working with a communal heating system and heat interface units (HIU) is desirable
THE CORTLAND DIFFERENCE
At Cortland, we create, reimagine, and manage apartment communities for residents nationwide. Headquartered in Atlanta, GA, we have communities and regional offices all over the US, as well as the UK. From product design and procurement to general contracting and property management, we do it all – to make sure our communities are the perfect setting for living life to the fullest. Our success is fuelled by our belief in a better life – where hospitality is always a given, each detail is worth a second thought, and every open door is a new opportunity to go beyond expectations. We come to work every day to create possibilities for people – possibilities that translate into superior living spaces and experiences designed to inspire our residents, associates, and investors to live a better life focused on what matters most to them.
Cortland is an equal opportunity employer, and we are proud to support and celebrate diversity in the workplace. We are committed to equal consideration for all qualified applicants regardless of race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. If you have a disability and need an accommodation or assistance with the application process and/or using our website, please email email@example.com
Cortland is a drug-free workplace.